Cannabis Information & Resources
Township Manager's Office
Location: Verona Town Hall, 600 Bloomfield Ave. Verona, NJ 07044
Hours: 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM Monday-Friday
Contact: (973) 857-4767
This page was created to help inform the residents of Verona on the State of New Jersey's current Cannabis laws and updates as well as Verona's current ordinance and associated information.
Cannabis Legalization & Background:
Governor Murphy signed the into law, egalizing and regulating cannabis use and possession for adults 21 years and older and decriminalizing marijuana and hashish possession, A-1897 (P.L.2021,c.19).
The Governor also signed S-3454 (P.L.2021,c.25), clarifying marijuana and cannabis use and possession penalties for individuals younger than 21 years old.
Cannabis Regulatory Commission (CRC):
The New Jersey Cannabis Regulatory Commission seeks to establish and grow a responsible, regulated medicinal and cannabis industry. By applying the values of safety and equity, the Commission will center its work around creating and protecting access for patients, the production of safe products, and promoting diversity and inclusion in the industry to develop a national model for sensible, fair oversight.
The Commission is committed to transparency and the public good. The agency operates under a Code of Ethics beyond the New Jersey Conflicts of Interest Law, the New Jersey Uniform Ethics Code, and the medicinal and adult-use cannabis statutes.
- General Information - Cannabis 101
- Download the FAQs for Municipalities here
- Additional Municipal Information
Visit the CRC website for additional information here: https://www.nj.gov/cannabis/
Office of the Attorney General:
- Cannabis legalization (P.L.2021, c.16). (Feb. 22, 2021) Titled as the New Jersey Cannabis Regulatory, Enforcement, Assistance and Marketplace Modernization Act, this law legalizes regulatory cannabis. (A21)
- Marijuana decriminalization (P.L.2021, c.19). (Feb. 22, 2021) This law decriminalizes possession of small amounts of marijuana and hashish and establishes new, more lenient penalties for the distribution of these substances. (A1897)
- Other clarifying provisions (P.L.2021, c.25). (Feb. 22, 2021) This law clarifies certain provisions regarding marijuana and cannabis use and possession penalties for individuals younger than 21 years old. (S3454)
- Additional clarifying provisions (P.L. 2021, c.38). (Mar. 26, 2021) This law revises certain provisions concerning parental notification of juveniles found to be using or possessing alcohol, marijuana, hashish or cannabis, as well as amending certain other provisions of N.J.S.A. 2C:33-15. (A5472)
Visit the main page here: https://www.njoag.gov/marijuana/
New Jersey State League of Municipalities:
The NJLM has developed a detailed site with information here: https://www.njlm.org/969/Cannabis-Legalization
Township of Verona Information:
The Township of Verona currently has Ordinance 2021-15 in place, which prohibits the operation of any class of cannabis business within its geographical boundaries.
"NOW THEREFORE, BE IT ORDAINED, by The Township Council of the Township of Verona, in the County of Essex, State of New Jersey, as follows:
SECTION 1. Pursuant to section 31b of the New Jersey Cannabis Regulatory, Enforcement Assistance, and Marketplace Modernization Act (P.L. 2021, c. 16), all cannabis establishments, cannabis distributors or cannabis delivery services are hereby prohibited from operating anywhere in Township of Verona, except for the delivery of cannabis items and related supplies by a delivery service.
SECTION 2. § 150-4.3 (Prohibited uses in all zone districts in the Township of Verona) of the Code of the Township of Verona is hereby amended by adding to the list of prohibited uses, the following: “All classes of cannabis establishments or cannabis distributors or cannabis delivery services as said terms are defined in section 3 of P.L. 2021, c. 16, but not the delivery of cannabis items and related supplies by a delivery service.”
You can read the full background and ordinance here.
Presentations & Additional Resources:
More information will be posted here as it becomes available.