Sustainable Verona Chair
Steven J. Neale, Township of Verona
Location: Verona Town Hall, 600 Bloomfield Ave. Verona, NJ
Hours: 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM Monday-Friday
Contact: (973) 239-4921
2021 Meeting Info:
- 2021 Meeting Dates - Sustainable Verona meets the first Wednesday of every month unless otherwise noted. There will not be a meeting in August and we will resume with in-person meetings starting again in September at the Verona Community Center.
- No August Meeting
- July 7, 2021
- June 2, 2021 Film Screening & Discussion
- May 5, 2021
- CANCELLED: April 7, 2021
- March 3, 2021
- February 3, 2021
Sustainable Verona Members:
Sustainable Verona meets the first Wednesday of every month at 7pm in the Conference Room at the Verona Community Center, 880 Bloomfield Ave.
- Steven Neale - Chairperson - Township of Verona - 6/30/2022
- William Battersby - Public Member - 6/30/2022
- Johnathon Hayter - Public Member - 6/30/2022
- Kelly Drury - Public Member - 6/30/2022
- Christine Liaukus - Public Member - 6/30/2022
- Laura Rainer- Public Member - 6/30/2022
- Sandra Williams - Public Member - 6/30/2022
- Danielle Zink - Public Member - 6/30/2022
- Stephen Pope - Public Member - 6/30/2022
- Kari Baureis - Environmental Commission Member - 6/30/2022
- Bob Prout - Shade Tree Commission Member - 6/30/2022
- Chuck Molinaro - Township of Verona - 6/30/2022
- Thomas Jacobsen - Township of Verona - 6/30/2022
- Christine McGrath - Council Representative - Deputy Mayor - 6/30/2022
More Coming soon!
Visit BagUpNJ.com for info on NJ's plastics ban and ways you can support the effort
- Master Gardeners of Essex County Online Help: In order to continue our Helpline Services in the middle of the ongoing Covid19 crisis, the Master Gardeners of Essex County have scheduled On Line Helpline Sessions every other Saturday starting June 13 at 10am. These sessions are to answer your landscape and gardening questions. Upcoming sessions
- Recycling Updates & Helpful Infographics
- Download Verona's New Open Space & Recreation Plan 2021
- Download Verona's 3rd Community Forestry Plan 2020-2024
- Township of Verona Environmental Resource Inventory Update
Recycling in NJ can be confusing. This video can help you become an expert:
Verona is happy to be a part of this aggressive effort to provide cleaner energy for all our residents! Video by CivicStory taken at Sustainable Jersey's NJ Mayors Climate Summit.
NJ Municipalities Team Up On Clean Energy:
Sustainable Jersey Certified Community
Verona has been a Sustainable Jersey certified community at the Bronze Level twice and is currently working towards Silver Level Certification as well as working on Gold Standard Actions in 2020. Certified towns are an outstanding group of municipalities that are making important contributions toward the long-term goal of a sustainable New Jersey and world.
To become Sustainable Jersey certified, Verona had to complete a balance of the rigorous program’s sustainability actions. Sustainable Jersey is a voluntary program that requires no fee for the certification.
To get involved with Verona’s green team and sustainability initiatives, contact Steven Neale, email@example.com . To participate in Sustainable Jersey free workshops and events held across the state, visit www.SustainableJersey.com
- Identifies actions that municipalities can implement to become certified
- Provides clear guidance and tools to enable communities to make progress on each action
- Provides access to grants and identifies funding opportunities for municipalities to make progress toward the actions
- Encompasses the three equal, interrelated components of sustainability:
Prosperity: Support local economies and use community resources
Planet: Practice responsible environmental management and conservation
People: Contribute to a strong civil society that provides opportunity for all
Local government participation is strictly voluntary and never mandated. Sustainable Jersey is New Jersey based and consensus driven. Certification actions are developed through an ongoing process of discussion and research that includes the participation of over 150 New Jersey leaders, experts, and organizations including state agencies, universities, non-profit organizations, and business leaders.
Verona Joins Remyndr!
Remyndr is the most convenient way to communicate curbside collection schedules to Verona residents. Notifications tell you the pickup type, what to include and what to avoid. If things change (like a snow storm), everyone will be alerted, or just those on the affected route.
- This results in a cleaner recycling stream, reduced waste stream and fewer items sitting on streets or blowing around our neighborhoods.
- For residents, it is free, takes seconds to sign up and means no missed pickups.
- HOW IT WORKS :
Simply download the free app, enter your address and you will instantly see the calendar of pickups at your home. Nothing more you need to do except sit back, relax and wait for your notifications.
Recent Tips :
Green Cars & the Environment - Great resource for researching green autos
- Getting Clean By Going Green - Some great links and tips on changing your lifestyle
- Green Guide for Kids at Home
Safe Routes to School:
Check out our Safe Routes to School & Beyond Interactive Map for a list of intersections with crossing guards, outdoor recreation areas, municipal buildings & more!
- Pedestrian Safety Tips: Stop, Look, Listen & Think
- Pedestrian Safety Tips: Distracted Pedestrians
- Benefits of Biking & Safety Tips
Green & Eco-Friendly Living:
Waste Reduction Information:
- NJDEP Additional Recycling Information
- Recycling Glass, Plastic, Metal & More
- Association of New Jersey Recyclers
- National Recycling Coalition
- Northeast Recycling Council
- NJ Source Reduction
- U.S. EPA Waste Info
- Verona Environmental Commission Website
- The Hilltop Conservancy Website
- Verona Municipal Alliance Committee
Buy Fresh Buy Local:
- Jersey Fresh Website
- Roadside Markets in Essex County
- Morgan's Farm on facebook
- Visit NJ Farms Website
- Purple Dragon Co-op
- Everything You Need To Know About Your Car's Carbon Footprint
- Association of NJ Environmental Commissions (ANJEC)
- Association of NJ Environmental Educators (ANJEE)
- New Jersey Clean Energy Program
- American Solar Energy Society
- Sustainable Communities Network
- Energy Star Home Program
Medicine Disposal Information:
Verona Launches Medicine Drop-Box
With the installation of a prescription drop box at the Police Station, Verona is now one of the many communities in Essex County to provide citizens with a safe and easy way to dispose of expired or unused medicines. The box was provided to the Township by ADAPT (Alcohol & Drug Abuse Prevention Team) of Essex County through a grant from the New Jersey Division of Mental Health and Addiction Services. Read the full article here...
- American Medicine Chest Challenge
- Covanta Energy Rx4Safety Program
- Drug Enforcement Agency National Take Back Da
- Prescription Pill and Drug Disposal Program
- Dispose My Meds
If you have any questions or would like more information on Sustainable Verona please email them to SustainableVerona@gmail.com
Please visit the official Sustainable Jersey website for more information