Sustainable Verona Chair
Steven J. Neale, Township of Verona
Location: Verona Community Center, 880 Bloomfield Ave. Verona, NJ
Hours: 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM Monday-Friday
Contact: (973) 857-4830
3rd Annual Verona Green Fair!
If you want to participate, download the Vendor Form & email Steven Neale at email@example.com
IT’S THE YEAR OF SOLAR!
You have likely heard a lot of buzz about solar energy! If you’re like most people, you have many questions and solar may seem complex and confusing. The Verona Solar Challenge was developed to help answer your questions about solar and to make it simple and easy to get a great deal on a solar energy system of your own.
The Verona Solar Challenge is a town-sponsored program that has partnered with EnergySage, an online solar marketplace that was developed with funding and support from the US Department of Energy. This free service will help you learn about and shop for a solar energy system with absolutely no obligation to make a purchase in the end. To participate in this great town-sponsored program, simply visit our new website www.veronasolar.org .
The great news is the more than 50,000 New Jersey homeowners have gone solar and are saving money and the environment already. An average homeowner in New Jersey saves enough money each year from reduced electricity bills and other incentives to pay back their initial investment in just 7 years. And, you can go solar with no money down through various loan and leasing programs!
Sign up today for some free solar quotes and help us spread the word about the Verona Solar Challenge today. www.veronasolar.org
See you around town,
Steven J. Neale
Township of Verona | Department of Community Services
Upcoming Events :
- Set the Table! - Host a dinner party with friends to help plan the future of NJ's transportation
- West Essex Trail Cleanup - April 1st
- Essex County Environmental Center Spring 2017 Programs
** DROUGHT WARNING ISSUED **
The New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) has placed 14 counties in North, Central and Northern Coastal New Jersey under a drought warning due to ongoing precipitation deficits and deteriorating water-supply conditions, particularly storage levels in reservoirs. DEP Commissioner Bob Martin signed an Administrative Order on October 21, 2016 designating the drought warning for Morris, Bergen, Essex , Hudson, Hunterdon, Mercer, Middlesex, Monmouth, Ocean, Passaic, Somerset, Sussex, Union and Warren Counties. The Township of Verona strongly encourages all residents to eliminate unnecessary water use and is offering a limited supply of toilet leak detection tablets at The Verona Community Center, 880 Bloomfield Ave. to help residents do their part to conserve. MORE DETAILS...
Sustainable Jersey Certified Community
Verona is a Sustainable Jersey certified community--one of only 198 in the state. Verona achieved Sustainable Jersey certification at the bronze level. Certified towns are an outstanding group of municipalities that are making important contributions toward the long-term goal of a sustainable New Jersey and world.
To become Sustainable Jersey certified, Verona had to complete a balance of the rigorous program’s sustainability actions . In addition, Verona created a green team and did 2 priority actions by completing a 1) Green Business Recognition Program, and 2) Prescription Drug Safety & Disposal. Sustainable Jersey is a voluntary program that requires no fee for the certification.
To get involved with Verona’s green team and sustainability initiatives, contact Steven Neale, firstname.lastname@example.org . To participate in Sustainable Jersey free workshops and events held across the state, visit www.SustainableJersey.com .
- Identifies actions that municipalities can implement to become certified
- Provides clear guidance and tools to enable communities to make progress on each action
- Provides access to grants and identifies funding opportunities for municipalities to make progress toward the actions
- Encompasses the three equal, interrelated components of sustainability:
Prosperity: Support local economies and use community resources
Planet: Practice responsible environmental management and conservation
People: Contribute to a strong civil society that provides opportunity for all
Local government participation is strictly voluntary and never mandated. Sustainable Jersey is New Jersey based and consensus driven. Certification actions are developed through an ongoing process of discussion and research that includes the participation of over 150 New Jersey leaders, experts, and organizations including state agencies, universities, non-profit organizations, and business leaders.
Sustainable Verona Members include:
- Steven Neale-Chairman (Township of Verona)
- Kevin Ryan (Mayor)
- Gloria Machnowski (Environmental Commission)
- Frank Sapienza (Verona Resident)
- Christine Liaukus (Verona Resident, Architect)
- Bob Dickison (Shade Tree Commission)
- Carlos Aguirre (Verona Resident)
- Tom Cherry (Verona Resident)
- Bob Prout (Shade Tree Commission)
- Chuck Molinaro (Township of Verona, Public Works)
- John Britch (Verona Resident)
- Thomas Jacobsen (Township of Verona, Building Code)
- Jonathan Hayter (Verona Resident)
- Todd Neale (Verona Resident)
Verona Joins Remyndr!
- Remyndr is the most convenient way to communicate curbside collection schedules to Verona residents. Notifications tell you the pickup type, what to include and what to avoid. If things change (like a snow storm), everyone will be alerted, or just those on the affected route.
- This results in a cleaner recycling stream, reduced waste stream and fewer items sitting on streets or blowing around our neighborhoods.
- For residents, it is free, takes seconds to sign up and means no missed pickups.
HOW IT WORKS
Simply download the free app, enter your address and you will instantly see the calendar of pickups at your home. Nothing more you need to do except sit back, relax and wait for your notifications.
Recent Tips :
- Green Cars & the Environment - Great resource for researching green autos
- Getting Clean By Going Green - Some great links and tips on changing your lifestyle
Waste Reduction Information:
- Association of New Jersey Recyclers
- National Recycling Coalition
- Northeast Recycling Council
- NJ Source Reduction
- U.S. EPA Waste Info
- Verona Environmental Commission Website
- The Hilltop Conservancy Website
- Verona Municipal Alliance Committee
Buy Fresh Buy Local:
- Jersey Fresh Website
- Roadside Markets in Essex County
- Morgan's Farm on facebook
- Visit NJ Farms Website
- Purple Dragon Co-op
- Everything You Need To Know About Your Car's Carbon Footprint
- Association of NJ Environmental Commissions (ANJEC)
- Association of NJ Environmental Educators (ANJEE)
- New Jersey Clean Energy Program
- American Solar Energy Society
- Sustainable Communities Network
- Energy Star Home Program
Medicine Disposal Information:
- American Medicine Chest Challenge
- Covanta Energy Rx4Safety Program
- Drug Enforcement Agency National Take Back Day
- New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs Project Medicine Drop
- Prescription Pill and Drug Disposal Program
- Dispose My Meds
If you have any questions or would like more information on Sustainable Verona please email them to SustainableVerona@gmail.com
Please visit the official Sustainable Jersey website for more information