Tax and Utility Billing and Collection
Jennifer Muscara, CTC
Location: 600 Bloomfield Ave, Verona, NJ 07044
Hours: 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM Monday-Friday
- Tax (973) 857-4777
- Water/Sewer (973) 857-4798
Have a Question or Comment?
*A lock box is available 24/7 in the vestibule of the Police Department
We are happy to announce that automatic direct debit is now available for the payment of Property Taxes and Water/Sewer payments.
The Tax Collector’s office processes the billing and collection of all property taxes and Township water/sewer charges.
The Tax Collector’s office acts as the collecting agency for numerous governmental bodies, including the Verona Board of Education and the County of Essex.
- Tax bills are mailed twice a year. In June for 3rd quarter and September for 4th, 1st & 2nd quarters
- Failure to receive a tax bill does not exempt you from paying taxes or the interest due on delinquent taxes
- Taxes are due quarterly: August 1, November 1, February 1, May 1
- There is a 10-day grace period. If the 10th day falls on a weekend/holiday, the grace period extends to the next business day.
- Please be advised that payments must be received in the Tax Office on or before the last day of the grace period – postmarks are not permitted.
The Township of Verona has adopted by resolution an interest rate of 8% for the first $1,500 of delinquency, and 18% for any delinquency over $1,500 as allowed per state statute N.J.S.A 54:4-67, as well as a 6% year-end penalty on any balance owing as of December 31 st in excess of $10,000.00.
Any unpaid delinquent taxes due from the prior year which are still owing may be subject to “TAX SALE”. Tax Sale is the enforcement of collections against a property by placing a lien against the property for all outstanding municipal charges due at the end of the Calendar year (December 31). Municipal charges include but are not limited to: Property Taxes, Special Improvement District Taxes (S.I.D), Added/Omitted Assessments, Property Maintenance liens.
State of New Jersey Property Tax Relief Programs :
There are three separate and distinct property tax relief programs available to New Jersey homeowners from the State.
- Property Tax Reimbursement Program (Senior Freeze)
- Homestead Benefit Program
- Annual Veteran & Senior/Disabled $250.00 deductions
Annual Property Tax Deduction for Veterans
Annual deduction of up to $250 from taxes due on the real or personal property of qualified war veterans and their unmarried surviving spouses/surviving civil union partners/surviving domestic partners. ***
Annual Property Tax Deduction for Senior Citizens, Disabled Persons :
Annual deduction of up to $250 from property taxes for homeowners age 65 or older or disabled who meet certain income and residency requirements. ***
***These (2) benefits are administered by the local municipality. Eligibility Requirements, applications, and assistance with these deductions are available at the Finance Office.
- Pay Your Tax or Utility Bill Online: Includes Tax & Utility Information
- NJ Tax Lookup
- Official Tax Lien Auction Site
- New Jersey Property Tax Records
- Essex County Board of Taxation