Tax and Utility Billing and Collection
Jennifer Muscara, CTC
Location: 600 Bloomfield Ave, Verona, NJ 07044
Hours: 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM Monday-Friday
- Tax (973) 857-4777
- Water/Sewer (973) 857-4798
Have a Question or Comment?
*A lock box is available 24/7 in the vestibule of the Police Department
We are happy to announce that automatic direct debit is now available for the payment of Property Taxes and Water/Sewer payments.
The Tax Collector’s office processes the billing and collection of all property taxes and Township water/sewer charges.
The Tax Collector’s office acts as the collecting agency for numerous governmental bodies, including the Verona Board of Education and the County of Essex.
- Tax bills are mailed twice a year. In June for 3rd quarter and September for 4th, 1st & 2nd quarters
- Failure to receive a tax bill does not exempt you from paying taxes or the interest due on delinquent taxes
- Taxes are due quarterly: August 1, November 1, February 1, May 1
- There is a 10-day grace period. If the 10th day falls on a weekend/holiday, the grace period extends to the next business day.
- Please be advised that payments must be received in the Tax Office on or before the last day of the grace period – postmarks are not permitted.
The Tax office will remain closed to the public during this time. We are available by phone Monday through Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm.
We are currently accepting payments via the methods listed below:
- Mail your payment to Township of Verona, 600 Bloomfield Avenue, Verona, NJ 07044
- Sign up for automatic payments. This Automatic Debit Application is on our website at https://www.veronanj.org/taxes . This service is free of charge and payments are typically processed on the due date of each quarter. Our office must receive the application no later than July 20th to qualify for the August 1st payment.
- Pay online at www.veronanj.org. Click “Pay a Bill” on the bottom right of the homepage and follow the prompts to make a payment. You will receive a confirmation email from the merchant as a receipt. There will be an increase to $1.95 for the eCheck convenience fee that was deferred since April to be put into effect on November 15, 2020. The credit and debit card convenience fee remains the same at 2.95%.
- There are drop boxes available in the Police Department lobby and the Municipal Building lobby (Gould Street Entrance). Drop your payment in the box. If you would like a receipt mailed to you, please include a self-addressed envelope with postage.
- If you process an online check through your own banking system, please have your account id in the memo. To have your payment processed in a more efficient manner, please have the “pay to the order of” listed as:
“Township of Verona, Tax Collector”
600 Bloomfield Avenue
Verona, NJ 07044
Due to COVID-19, The State of New Jersey has frozen the Homestead Rebate and Senior Freeze programs. You can always check their websites for the most up to date information on these programs and the update on the release of these funds. You can find links to the State’s website on our website under the Tax Collector’s page.
We will be sending out third quarter water bills in the middle of August and they will be due in the middle of September. Payment options for the water/sewer bills are the same as above, except for online bill pay, please use your account number and the “pay to the order of” should state:
“Township of Verona, Utilities”
600 Bloomfield Avenue
Verona, NJ 07044
Lastly, any property that has an open balance for 2019 for taxes, utilities, and any other municipal charges is subject to tax sale on December 3, 2020.
The Township of Verona has adopted by resolution an interest rate of 8% for the first $1,500 of delinquency, and 18% for any delinquency over $1,500 as allowed per state statute N.J.S.A 54:4-67, as well as a 6% year-end penalty on any balance owing as of December 31 st in excess of $10,000.00.
Any unpaid delinquent taxes due from the prior year which are still owing may be subject to “TAX SALE”. Tax Sale is the enforcement of collections against a property by placing a lien against the property for all outstanding municipal charges due at the end of the Calendar year (December 31). Municipal charges include but are not limited to: Property Taxes, Special Improvement District Taxes (S.I.D), Added/Omitted Assessments, Property Maintenance liens.
State of New Jersey Property Tax Relief Programs :
There are three separate and distinct property tax relief programs available to New Jersey homeowners from the State.
- Property Tax Reimbursement Program (Senior Freeze)
- Homestead Benefit Program
- Annual Veteran & Senior/Disabled $250.00 deductions
Annual Property Tax Deduction for Veterans
Annual deduction of up to $250 from taxes due on the real or personal property of qualified war veterans and their unmarried surviving spouses/surviving civil union partners/surviving domestic partners. ***
Annual Property Tax Deduction for Senior Citizens, Disabled Persons :
Annual deduction of up to $250 from property taxes for homeowners age 65 or older or disabled who meet certain income and residency requirements. ***
***These (2) benefits are administered by the local municipality. Eligibility Requirements, applications, and assistance with these deductions are available at the Finance Office.
- Pay Your Tax or Utility Bill Online: Includes Tax & Utility Information
- NJ Tax Lookup
- Official Tax Lien Auction Site
- New Jersey Property Tax Records
- Essex County Board of Taxation
- 2019 Form PTR-1 New Jersey Senior Freeze (Property Tax Reimbursement) Application
- Veterans Income Tax Exemption Submission Form
- Download the AUTOMATIC DEBIT APPLICATION HERE
- Change of Address Authorization
- eBill Authorization
- Homeowner Occupied Water & Sewer Authorization
- Landlord-Tenant Water & Sewer Authorization