Township Manager's Office
Matthew Cavallo, MPA, CPM - Township Manager
Kristine Gould - Executive Assistant
Office Location: Municipal Building, 600 Bloomfield Avenue, 2 nd Floor, Verona, NJ 07044
Phone: (973) 857-4767
Fax: (973) 857-4270
Email: Contact the Township Manager
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Township Manager serves as both the Chief Executive and Chief Administrative Officer of the Township. The Manager oversees the operations of all municipal departments, coordinates the day-to-day operations of the community and carries out the policies as set by the elected Mayor and Council.
The Township Manager oversees a broad spectrum of Township functions including:
- preparation of Mayor and Council meeting agendas;
- execution and enforcement of Township ordinances, resolutions and other council policies;
- selection and appointment of all Department Head and Township personnel;
- conducts labor negotiations with employee bargaining units in coordination with the Township Attorney;
- oversight of all Township purchasing and capital improvement projects;
- preparation and presentation of the Township’s annual budget;
- coordination of municipal property and open space purchases;
- research and make applications for grants for community projects and programs
- coordination of all Township communications;
- representing the Township and its best interests to the Verona Board of Education, neighboring municipalities, the County of Essex and the State of New Jersey.
Matthew Cavallo was unanimously appointed as the Township Manager in December 2015 by the Township Council.
Matt grew up in nearby Wayne, NJ and graduated from Montclair State University with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science, and a Masters in Public Administration from Fairleigh Dickinson University. He holds certification as a Certified Public Manager, a Certified Municipal Finance Officer, a Registered Municipal Clerk and a Qualified Purchasing Agent.
Matt currently serves on the Executive Board of the New Jersey Municipal Manager’s Association and is a Commissioner on the New Jersey Intergovernmental Insurance Fund and the Gateway Regional/Bergen Municipal Employee Benefits Health Insurance Fund. He is also active with the International City Managers Association (ICMA), the Governmental Finance Officers Association of New Jersey and the North Jersey Chapter of the National Institute for Governmental Purchasing.
Matt’s career includes serving as a Specifications Writer/Purchasing Agent in the Township of Wayne and as the Business Administrator in the Township of Washington, Bergen County. In his free time, Matt volunteers in his home town as a volunteer firefighter and Emergency Medical Technician.