Verona Environmental Commission
Mailing Address: 600 Bloomfield Ave., Verona, NJ 07044
The Verona Environmental Commission (VEC) was established by Ordinance No. 9-92 in 1992, consistent with state laws creating environmental commissions. The Commission is comprised of seven members (one of whom is also a member of the Planning Board) plus two alternates. All VEC members are Verona residents and serve without compensation. The chairperson and regular members are appointed by the Town Manager, and Alternates are appointed by the governing body. In addition, a member of the Town Council attends commission meetings and acts as a liaison between the Commission and the Council.
Read more about the Environmental Commission here: https://ecode360.com/12271111
VEC public meetings are held on the second Wednesday of each month (except August) from 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm in the Conference Room of the Verona Community Center, 880 Bloomfield Avenue. The public is welcomed to attend. The Commission keeps records of its meetings and activities and makes an annual report to the township governing body.
VEC Meeting Minutes:
What the VEC does?
The role of the Commission is to study, evaluate and make recommendations to the Township Council and the Planning Board regarding local environmental issues, including (but not limited to) preservation and use of parks and other open spaces; clean water resources; stormwater management; air, noise, and light pollution; solid waste management and recycling; energy conservation and renewable energy resources; transportation and circulation planning; and protection of flora, fauna, soil and landscape throughout the Township.
The Commission reviews all applications sent to the Planning Board and the Board of Adjustment to evaluate their impact on the environment. The VEC also provides environmental information and programs for residents; coordinates activities of unofficial bodies organized for similar purposes; and recruits and manages volunteerism and professional expertise. The VEC may, subject to the approval of the governing body, acquire and administer property in the name of the township. The Verona Environmental Commission is committed to sustainability. It is expected that implementing sustainability programs and projects in Verona will result in long-term cost savings, improved health for residents and municipal employees, preservation of property values, energy conservation to reduce our town’s contribution to climate change, plus additional quality of life benefits.
- Received Environmental Achievement Awards from the Association of N.J. Environmental Commissions (ANJEC) in 2009, 2012 and 2014 & 2016.
- Was presented the 2010 Community Service Recognition at the Verona Mayor's Annual Charity Affair.
- Sponsored annual poster contests on idling and sustainability at all Verona's public schools.
- Organized annual Peckman River cleanups and won an open space grant from ANJEC to preserve the Peckman trail in 2014.
- Joined forces with the Junior Woman’s Club of Verona and Verona Historical Society to create Grove Park in 2015.
- Hosted a tree seedling giveaway at Grove Park, as part of the 2016 New Jersey Tree Recovery Campaign.
- Participated in Verona's Fair in the Square, Volunteer Night and Green Fair.
- At the VEC encouragement the Town Council joined the program Sustainable Jersey in 2014; adopted an Anti Idling resolution in 2015; and approved a Steep Slope Ordinance in 2016.
Environmental Commission Members
Jessica Pearson - Chairperson - 6/30/2021
Sean DiBartolo - 6/30/2022
Frank Ceccacci - 6/30/2021
Michael Auteri - 6/30/2022
Sarah Yauch O’Farrell - 6/30/2020
Kari Baureis - 6/30/2020
Martin Golan - 6/30/2020
Fuad Dahan - 6/30/2020
Christine McGrath - Council Representative - 6/30/2020