Verona Environmental Commission
Mailing Address: 600 Bloomfield Ave., Verona, NJ 07044
The Verona Environmental Commission (VEC) was established by Ordinance No. 9-92 in 1992, consistent with state laws creating environmental commissions. The Commission is comprised of seven members (one of whom is also a member of the Planning Board) plus two alternates. All VEC members are Verona residents and serve without compensation. The chairperson and regular members are appointed by the Town Manager, and Alternates are appointed by the governing body. In addition, a member of the Town Council attends commission meetings and acts as a liaison between the Commission and the Council.
2023 Meeting Info:
VEC public meetings are held on the second Wednesday of each month (unless otherwise noted by *) from 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm in the Conference Room of the Verona Community Center, 880 Bloomfield Avenue. The public is welcomed to attend. The Commission keeps records of its meetings and activities and makes an annual report to the township governing body.
2023 Meeting Dates:
July 12, 2023
September 12, 2023 *(Tues)
October 11, 2023
November 8, 2023
December 13, 2023
2024 Meeting Dates:
January 10, 2024
February 14, 2024
March 13, 2024
April 10, 2024
May 8, 2024
June 12, 2024
VEC Meeting Documents:
What the VEC does?
The role of the Commission is to study, evaluate and make recommendations to the Township Council and the Planning Board regarding local environmental issues, including (but not limited to) preservation and use of parks and other open spaces; clean water resources; stormwater management; air, noise, and light pollution; solid waste management and recycling; energy conservation and renewable energy resources; transportation and circulation planning; and protection of flora, fauna, soil and landscape throughout the Township.
The Commission reviews all applications sent to the Planning Board and the Board of Adjustment to evaluate their impact on the environment. The VEC also provides environmental information and programs for residents; coordinates activities of unofficial bodies organized for similar purposes; and recruits and manages volunteerism and professional expertise. The VEC may, subject to the approval of the governing body, acquire and administer property in the name of the township. The Verona Environmental Commission is committed to sustainability. It is expected that implementing sustainability programs and projects in Verona will result in long-term cost savings, improved health for residents and municipal employees, preservation of property values, energy conservation to reduce our town’s contribution to climate change, plus additional quality of life benefits.
- Received Environmental Achievement Awards from the Association of N.J. Environmental Commissions (ANJEC) in 2009, 2012 and 2014 & 2016.
- Secured an Open Space grant from ANJEC to preserve and plant trees at the Peckman trail in 2014.
- Joined forces with the Junior Woman’s Club of Verona and Verona Historical Society to create Grove Park in 2015.
- Sponsor annual poster contests on idling, recycling, plastic reduction, and sustainability at all Verona's public schools.
- Launched a School Assembly Program to teach elementary students about the importance of Recycling and Plastic waste reduction.
- Organize three to four cleanup events each year at Verona's parkland sites.
- Host annual tree seedling giveaway at Grove Park, as part of the New Jersey Tree Recovery Campaign
Environmental Commission Members
- Jessica Pearson - Chairperson - 06/30/2024
- Sean DiBartolo - 06/30/2025
- Michael Auteri - 06/30/2025
- Sarah Yauch O’Farrell - 06/30/2026
- Kari Baureis - 06/30/2026
- Walter Steinnman - 06/30/2026
- Fuad Dahan - 06/30/2024
- Anthony Castillo - Alternate #1 - 06/30/2024
- Erdal Turnacioglu - Alternate #2 - 06/30/2025
- Chris Tamburro - Council Representative - 06/30/2024