Sustainable Verona Chair
Steven J. Neale, Township of Verona
Location: Verona Town Hall, 600 Bloomfield Ave. Verona, NJ
Hours: 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM Monday-Friday
Contact: (973) 239-4921
Upcoming Events :
Plant it Forward Events at Montclair Community Farms - Year round
Recent News :
Field Goods: Sustainable Year-Round Local Produce Delivery
Sustainable Jersey Certified Community
Verona is a Sustainable Jersey certified community--one of only 198 in the state. Verona achieved Sustainable Jersey certification at the bronze level. Certified towns are an outstanding group of municipalities that are making important contributions toward the long-term goal of a sustainable New Jersey and world.
To become Sustainable Jersey certified, Verona had to complete a balance of the rigorous program’s sustainability actions. In addition, Verona created a green team and did 2 priority actions by completing a 1) Green Business Recognition Program, and 2) Prescription Drug Safety & Disposal. Sustainable Jersey is a voluntary program that requires no fee for the certification.
To get involved with Verona’s green team and sustainability initiatives, contact Steven Neale, firstname.lastname@example.org. To participate in Sustainable Jersey free workshops and events held across the state, visit www.SustainableJersey.com.
- Identifies actions that municipalities can implement to become certified
- Provides clear guidance and tools to enable communities to make progress on each action
- Provides access to grants and identifies funding opportunities for municipalities to make progress toward the actions
- Encompasses the three equal, interrelated components of sustainability:
Prosperity: Support local economies and use community resources
Planet: Practice responsible environmental management and conservation
People: Contribute to a strong civil society that provides opportunity for all
Local government participation is strictly voluntary and never mandated. Sustainable Jersey is New Jersey based and consensus driven. Certification actions are developed through an ongoing process of discussion and research that includes the participation of over 150 New Jersey leaders, experts, and organizations including state agencies, universities, non-profit organizations, and business leaders.
Sustainable Verona Members:
Sustainable Verona meets the first Wednesday of every month at 7pm in the Conference Room at the Verona Community Center, 880 Bloomfield Ave.
- Steven Neale - Chairperson - Township of Verona - 6/30/2018
- Ted Giblin - Council Liason - Council Member - 6/30/2018
- Gloria Machnowski - Environmental Commission - 6/30/2018
- Frank Sapienza - Public Member - 6/30/2018
- Christine Liaukus - Public Member - 6/30/2018
- Bob Dickison - Shade Tree Commission - 6/30/2018
- Tom Cherry - Public Member - 6/30/2018
- Bob Prout - Shade Tree Commission - 6/30/2018
- Chuck Molinaro - Township of Verona, Public Works
- John Britch - Public Member - 6/30/2018
- Thomas Jacobsen - Township of Verona, Building Code - 6/30/2018
- Jonathan Hayter - Public Member - 6/30/2018
- Todd Neale - Public Member - 6/30/2018
- Marie-Agnes Michellod - Public Member - 6/30/2018
Verona Joins Remyndr!
- Remyndr is the most convenient way to communicate curbside collection schedules to Verona residents. Notifications tell you the pickup type, what to include and what to avoid. If things change (like a snow storm), everyone will be alerted, or just those on the affected route.
- This results in a cleaner recycling stream, reduced waste stream and fewer items sitting on streets or blowing around our neighborhoods.
- For residents, it is free, takes seconds to sign up and means no missed pickups.
HOW IT WORKS
Simply download the free app, enter your address and you will instantly see the calendar of pickups at your home. Nothing more you need to do except sit back, relax and wait for your notifications.
Recent Tips :
- Green Cars & the Environment - Great resource for researching green autos
- Getting Clean By Going Green - Some great links and tips on changing your lifestyle
- Green Guide for Kids at Home
Safe Routes to School:
Check out our Safe Routes to School & Beyond Interactive Map for a list of intersections with crossing guards, outdoor recreation areas, municipal buildings & more!
- Pedestrian Safety Tips: Stop, Look, Listen & Think
- Pedestrian Safety Tips: Distracted Pedestrians
- Benefits of Biking & Safety Tips
Green & Eco-Friendly Living:
Waste Reduction Information:
- NJDEP Additional Recycling Information
- Recycling Glass, Plastic, Metal & More
- Association of New Jersey Recyclers
- National Recycling Coalition
- Northeast Recycling Council
- NJ Source Reduction
- U.S. EPA Waste Info
- Verona Environmental Commission Website
- The Hilltop Conservancy Website
- Verona Municipal Alliance Committee
Buy Fresh Buy Local:
- Jersey Fresh Website
- Roadside Markets in Essex County
- Morgan's Farm on facebook
- Visit NJ Farms Website
- Purple Dragon Co-op
- Everything You Need To Know About Your Car's Carbon Footprint
- Association of NJ Environmental Commissions (ANJEC)
- Association of NJ Environmental Educators (ANJEE)
- New Jersey Clean Energy Program
- American Solar Energy Society
- Sustainable Communities Network
- Energy Star Home Program
Medicine Disposal Information:
Verona Launches Medicine Drop-Box
With the installation of a prescription drop box at the Police Station, Verona is now one of the many communities in Essex County to provide citizens with a safe and easy way to dispose of expired or unused medicines. The box was provided to the Township by ADAPT (Alcohol & Drug Abuse Prevention Team) of Essex County through a grant from the New Jersey Division of Mental Health and Addiction Services. Read the full article here...
- American Medicine Chest Challenge
- Covanta Energy Rx4Safety Program
- Drug Enforcement Agency National Take Back Da
- Prescription Pill and Drug Disposal Program
- Dispose My Meds
If you have any questions or would like more information on Sustainable Verona please email them to SustainableVerona@gmail.com
Please visit the official Sustainable Jersey website for more information