Likely constructed around 1790, this beautiful example of an early-19th century vernacular farmhouse in the Township of Verona still retains the characteristic form and materials of this style of architecture. The steep gable roof, step-down form with main block and smaller attached service wing on the south side of the house and small second floor windows on the front are all characteristic of the house type known as and “East Jersey Cottage”.
This house matches the Harrison house (circa 1790) in West Caldwell at 153 Orton Road. The small, eyebrow-window-sized locations and chimneys are identical to those in the photo of the Harrison House taken by the Historic American Building Survey in 1937. A Greek revival entablature and trim around the entrance at 190 Grove Avenue must have been removed at a later date.