110 Claremont Avenue
Located on what was formerly known as Old Road in the 18th century, this house is architecturally significant because the alterations and addition (circa 1880) skillfully preserved the inward portion in the old style while updating the exterior in the Victorian style. Surrounding the house is a row of antiquity maple trees that are more than 150 years old, as well as a white picket fence lining the front of the property.
When Claremont Avenue was known as Old Road back in 1716, the road stretched from Newark to Cranestown (now Montclair) over the First Mountain, through “Horseneck” Verona to points west of the Passaic River and Morristown area. There seems little doubt that Washington and Lafayette traveled
past the original portion of the old house on their way from Cranetown to Morristown during the Revolutionary Period.
John Range was the first owner in 1797 before Josiah A. Priest’s purchase in 1873. Priest’s widow continued living in the house until 1919, when his daughters took over possession of the home. In 1926, the home was purchased by Alfred F. Harris who resided in and preserved the home for over 40 years. Harris’ chronicles written in 1963 describe in detail the older portion of the home, the addition in 1880, the foundation, the cellar, the attic and roof, etc.