-Please keep fire hydrants clear of snow.
Although Verona is a primarily residential community, it is also home to commercial areas and factories, making it a wonderful place to raise a family or start or relocate a business. Originally, Verona was a part of Newark, then later a part of Caldwell Township, before initially being incorporated as the Borough of Verona was incorporated in 1907. Located in the valley between the First and Second Watchung Mountains, Verona has four elementary schools, a middle school and high school as well as a free public library. Verona was listed No. 3 of "25 Great Towns" by New Jersey Monthly magazine.
One of the most striking features of the town is Verona Park, part of the Essex County Park system. The 54-acre park was designed by the Olmstead Brothers, and features twin lakes and a picturesque bridge that is a favorite location of wedding photographers during the summer months. There is a modernized, expanded boathouse that is adjacent to the 13-acre lake is used for boating and fishing. Special events including craft shows and concerts are held in the park. At sunrise, joggers and runners make their way through the 1.2-mile course around the lakes, while tennis courts and several playgrounds are used throughout the day.
The Verona Fire Department was organized on May 12, 1909. On June 24, 1997, the new No. 1 firehouse at 880 Bloomfield Ave. was dedicated and put in service, adjacent to the Verona Community Center. There are two companies, Engine Company 1 and Hose Company 2, each with 28 firefighters. The companies are led by a captain, and a lieutenant, who are elected by their fellow company members. The Verona Rescue Squad was organized in 1927, and celebrated its 75th anniversary in 2002 with a big parade down Bloomfield Avenue followed by a day full of festivities and special events at the Verona Community Center. We salute all of our neighbors who give of themselves to make Verona the great town that it is today.